Cowboy Up
Inside The 
Extreme World
Of Bull Riding  

Click Here 
For More Info

Click Here 
To Order Video

Why This Site 
Was Created
Site Map  
Contents Of 
This Site
Memories Of Lane  
Posters, Videos, etc 
Popular Site Pages


Asked Questions
Pages On 
Lane's Life
The Early Years 
High School Days
Rodeo Days
Red Rock
Cheyenne 1989-
The Last Ride
Cheyenne 1989 
The Days 
After Cheyenne
Mount Olivet
Up To The Present
 Short Bio Of 
Lane's Life
For Quick Reference
Lane's World  
(Reference Map)
On This Day
In Lane's Life
 Pages On Lane's 
Family & Friends
Lane's Family  
Lane's Friends  
 Kellie Frost  
Lane's Friend
Freckles Brown  
More Pages 
About Lane
Lane's Buckles
 & Gear
Lane's Favorites  
Lane's Statue 
At Cheyenne
Lane's Legacy  
Your Tributes
To Lane
8 Seconds 
Movie Pages
"8 Seconds"
What was True?
"Cowboy Is 
His Name" 
  Informational Pages
Getting Started 
Riding Bulls
Other Rodeo Sites  


Lane's Story

PRCA Rodeo Years:  1983 thru1989

Lane graduated from Atoka High School in 1982.

Another Good Ride


In high school Lane was offered rodeo scholarships, 
but he decided to pursue a professional bull riding career.

In 1983, he received full membership in the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association,
(PRCA), at the age of 19.

He finished 16th in the standings. The top 15 finishers are qualified to compete
in the National Finals Rodeo. 
The 15th qualifier was Jacky Gibbs, Lane's traveling partner at that time.

Lane almost made it in the Finals when Charlie Sampson, the defending champion was injured.

However, Charlie decided to compete. Lane was named "Rookie of the Year" runner up.

Lane also competed in the 1983 "Super Bull" competition in Del Rio, TX.
At "Super Bull" he received the "Tough Luck" award for his bone-jarring, but unsuccessful efforts.

And also in 1983, Lane was the PRCA Prairie Circuit Bull Riding Champion.


In 1984 he talked his dad into letting him build a bull riding arena on the 
family's ranch. Lane and his father designed the area to be both an arena and
a place to work on the animals.

1984 was the first year Lane qualified for the National Finals Rodeo.

He would qualify every year from now until his death in 1989.

He would also be one of the top 15 bull riders for the next 5 consecutive years until his death.

1988 - $ 74,700 - #6
1987 - $105,697 - #1
1986 - $104,128 - #3
1985 - $ 87,100 - #3
1984 - $ 50,688 - #9

Lifetime PRCA Earnings: $489,736

In the 1984 Finals, Lane rode 5 out of 10 bulls. He finished 9th in the World Standings and
was 5th in NFR earnings.


On January 5, 1985, he married Kellie Kyle at the United Methodist Church
in Quanah, TX. The reception was held at the church also.

In 1985 he also taught his first bull riding class, a class of 10, at the arena
he built.
Lane not only loved to ride bulls, he loved to help others that wanted
to learn how to ride.


Lane and Mr T.
Lane gets hung up on
the famous Mr T.
What Lane had to say about trying Mr. T!

Shoot...I just got hung up on his neck and he just kept working on me before I could get out of there.

It's been three weeks since then, and my teeth feel a little better.
My whole head feels a little better.

It wasn't that bad the first three days, you know, my face just swelled up and my eyes got shut on me.

But as soon as I got my eyes opened where I could see...I was feeling a lot better.

What Mr. T's owner, Pete Burns, was quoted as saying:

"At the Casper Pro Tour Rodeo last fall, Lane Frost rode Mr. T for about four or five seconds.
Then he bucked him off. It looked as if the bull bucked harder those last few seconds 
than he had ever bucked in his life."



Remember Lane winning the "Tough Luck" Award at the "Super Bull" competition in Del Rio, TX
in 1983?

In 1985 Lane earned the Championship at the "Super Bull" event, also known as the
"George Paul Memorial Bull Riding Competition".

You deserved it, Lane. We were proud of you!

On September 6th, 1985, Lane was honored to be one of the 136 top rodeo competitors chosen
for the newly-formed "Winston Tour Rodeo".

The "Winston Tour Rodeo" was something different than ever tried before. It was a
national series of competitions showcasing only the top athletes of pro rodeo.

The events were held for 4 days, (Thursday through Sunday),
and gave fans a chance to meet and get to know the contestants.
ESPN carried telecasts of events around the country.

Major sponsors endorsed 8 member "teams". Lane's team was endorsed by Copenhagen-Skoal.
The tour created new enthusiasm and excitement for pro rodeo, as fans began to know the competitors
and develop loyalties.

In the 1985 National Finals Rodeo, Lane finished 3rd  in world standings and 2nd in NFR earnings.
He rode 8 out of 10 bulls, Red Rock being one of the bulls that bucked him off.

1988 - $ 74,700 - #6
1987 - $105,697 - #1
1986 - $104,128 - #3
1985 - $ 87,100 - #3
1984 - $ 50,688 - #9

Lifetime PRCA Earnings: $489,736


* Lane in the 1985 National Finals Rodeo *
ready.jpg (69805 bytes)

The Finals
The Finals


In 1986 Lane was the "Winston Tour" Bull Riding Champion runner up.

He also was co-champion of the "Super Bull" event along with his friend Tuff Hedeman.

In March, he competed in "The World's Toughest Rodeo" in Oklahoma City, 
along with Ted Nuce and Tuff Hedeman.

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  *
phantom1.jpg (62771 bytes)
Lane successfully rides the Pete Burns' bull "Phantom" at the 1986 Cheyenne Frontier Days,
phantom3.jpg (78790 bytes)
phantom2.jpg (66035 bytes)
even though he had a badly bruised right arm.
And, in the 1986 National Finals Rodeo, Lane rode 9 out of 10 bulls.

Had Lane rode all 10, he would have won the
World Championship in 1986, and would have been the first bull rider to ride all 10 bulls in the Finals.

The name of the bull that bucked him off?  
Red Rock.

So, in 1986 Lane was the NFR Average Winner, and placed 3rd in the world standings.
His friend Tuff Hedeman won the championship.

1988 - $ 74,700 - #6
1987 - $105,697 - #1
1986 - $104,128 - #3
1985 - $ 87,100 - #3
1984 - $ 50,688 - #9

Lifetime PRCA Earnings: $489,736

86 coat.jpg (58858 bytes)
A jacket from the 1986 Finals
An article in "The Oklahoman" in late 1986 listed some of Lane's injuries up until that time.

They were:
a ripped groin muscle,
broken ribs,
a punctured lung,
a broken nose
and "a bunch of head stitches".

Asked how he coped, Lane replied, "Mind over matter. A lot of positive thinking."

Another article states that when the punctured lung happened in Utah, Lane spent most of
the night at his Uncle's house sitting in a chair in great pain, waiting for morning so someone 
could take him to the hospital. He didn't want to wake anyone up!


Lane moved to Quanah, TX. (Kellie's home town) although for awhile
he continued to use Lane, OK. as his "official" home address.
His parents still lived there and he was working with his Dad there.

(At the time of his death, Lane was working on building his own ranch with Kellie.
They had picked out a piece of property near Marietta, OK, almost half-way 
between Lane's parents and Kellie's parents. It was important to Lane to continue
to be able to help his father with their ranch.)

In September of 1987, Lane won the bull-riding at the "Pendleton Round Up", even though he had
broken his collarbone in August at the Elks PRCA Rodeo in Seminole, OK.

He also competed in the "Oklahoma State Fair Rodeo" in September.
and was the Texas Circuit Bull Riding Champion of 1987.

But the moment Lane worked for all his life came when he became the "World Champion Bull Rider"
n Dec. of 1987 at the National Finals Rodeo in Las Vegas, NV.

As his father, Clyde Frost said, "It wasn't 'if' he became World Champion to Lane, it was 'when'."

Lane rode 8 out of 10 bulls, and placed second in NFR earnings.

Unfortunately, his good friend Freckles Brown did not live to see this,
he died in March of 1987, after a four year battle with cancer.


Rodeo Days
Lane in the 1987 National Finals Rodeo

Rodeo Days
The Finals
Lane Frost at the 1987 National Finals Rodeo
If Lane stays on for 8, he's the new World Champion.
Lane was the last one to ride in the 10th Round of the Finals.

If he stayed on for the 8 seconds, he won the Championship.


The new World Champion.
A happy Lane, who knows he won the Championship.
He did give the crowd a scare though,
when the bull tossed him against a gate and stepped on him after the ride!
Congratulating the new Champion.
lanefrostsignedposter.jpg (86457 bytes)
A poster of Lane put out after he became World Champion.
(No longer available.)
Lane won the World Championship, despite being off for three weeks in August, 1987
when he broke his collarbone on August 20th at the Elks PRCA
Rodeo in Seminole, OK.

Although he slightly re-injured the collarbone several times
near the end of the season, he felt he couldn't take anymore time off without
hurting his chances for the Championship.

Lane had a friend named Lee who also was a bull rider from Oklahoma.
Lee was in an automobile accident, and was paralyzed and used a wheelchair.

Lane made it possible for Lee to attend the 1987 Finals by paying  all of Lee's expenses,
(plane ticket, hotel and meals).

In an interview after the 1987 Finals, Lane said,
"The last few years I set a goal of finishing in the top five.
This year it was to be World Champion. I always told myself that if I could be a World Champion,
I'd be a good one. And that's what I've got big plans to do."

Lane also credited three men for his success:

"Freckles (Brown) and my Dad are the greatest teachers I ever had.
They got me started the right way. Donnie (Gay) came along and put the icing on the cake."

It was in an interview right after the finals that Lane said his famous quote,

"Don't be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be.
But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price."

The new World Champion didn't rest though. Before December was over, 
Lane competed in the seventh annual
"Heart of America Bull Riding Championship" in Shawnee, OK.

1988 - $ 74,700 - #6
1987 - $105,697 - #1
1986 - $104,128 - #3
1985 - $ 87,100 - #3
1984 - $ 50,688 - #9

Lifetime PRCA Earnings: $489,736


.press kit.jpg (61713 bytes)

1988 was a busy year for Lane.
In February, he competed with the U.S. Rodeo Team at the only exhibition
rodeo ever held at the Olympics.
(Winter Olympics, Calgary, Alberta, Canada.)
He won the bronze bull riding medal,
and the U. S. Team won the gold.

And was knocked unconscious for almost 5 minutes after one of his rides!

Lane accepted Jesus Christ as his personal savior on March 8, 1988.

April, May, June and July of 1988 he participated in the
"Challenge of the Champions" with the bull Red Rock.

It was a seven event match-up between Lane, the 1987
World Champion Bull Rider and Red Rock, the 1987
World Champion Bucking Bull.

Red Rock was retired after the 1987 Finals.
He never had a rider stay on for the full eight seconds in 309 attempts
in his professional rodeo career.
(For more on this great story, see my "Red Rock" Page).

During 1988 Lane and Kellie's marriage was strained, Kellie wanted 
Lane home more and to start a family, Lane wanted to continue focusing
on his rodeo career and win another World Championship.

For a brief time they did separate, but Lane worked hard to win Kellie back,
and she was there to see him win the "Challenge of the Champions."

Also in 1988 Lane and Tuff Hedeman were invited by Copenhagen/Skoal
to try unridden bulls at the Hawaiian Professional Championship Rodeo
held in Waimanalo, Hawaii on June 17, 18 and 19.

Both Lane and Tuff rode their bulls.


In February of 1988 Lane, Ted Nuce, and Tuff Hedeman competed in the
"Rodeo 1988 Challenge Cup", an event held in conjunction with the Winter Olympics in Calgary, Canada.

Lane won the bronze medal, and the US Team won the gold. See the medal and buckle Lane won on the 
Buckles page.

Lane was also knocked out for five minutes after one of his rides!

March 1988 found Lane winning the Dodge National Circuit Finals in Pocatello, Id.

April, May, June and July of 1988 Lane was in the
"Challenge of the Champions" with Red Rock.

Lane still continued to compete in the regular rodeos, also riding Red Rock at the selected events.
(For the complete story on this match up, see my
"Red Rock" Page.)
Or continue reading about Lane's rodeo days below.

redding8.jpg (45155 bytes)
* Lane & Red Rock~Redding, CA.*

Lane on Red Rock Livermore Ca.
Lane & Red Rock~Livermore, CA.
Lane on Red Rock Sisters Or.
Lane & Red Rock~Sisters, OR.
Lane and Tuff Hedeman were invited by Copenhagen/Skoal
to compete in Hawaii in the Hawaiian Professional Championship Rodeo.
Both rode their bulls, that were previously unridden.

At the 1988 National Rodeo Finals, Lane rode 7 out of 10 bulls and
finished fifth in NFR earnings and sixth in the world standings.

1988 - $ 74,700 - #6
1987 - $105,697 - #1
1986 - $104,128 - #3
1985 - $ 87,100 - #3
1984 - $ 50,688 - #9

Lifetime PRCA Earnings: $489,736

88coat.jpg (33301 bytes)
A coat from the
1988 National Finals Rodeo Las Vegas, NV


Lane felt that he lost his focus in 1988,
and in the 1989 PRCA's handbook,
next to his picture and statistics, he states:

"I slacked up a little bit last year,
but this year I sure would like to win the World again.
There's less pressure now, and I'm feeling good about
going after another title."

In early 1989, Lane was proud to help organize
"Bullmania A Tribute to Freckles Brown", a bull riding event held
in Guthrie, OK.
in honor of his friend.

The arena was sold out for the bull riding only event.
It was around this time that Lane and Tuff and a few others started
thinking about creating what would eventually become the
"Professional Bull Riders"

Clint Branger, a traveling partner of Lane's, won that  inaugural "Bullmania".
Clint still competes today.

In the event, Lane wore the #2.

No one could predict that, the very next year, 1990,  #2 would be
retired in Lane's memory, and hung on a gate chute.

And the event would be renamed:

"Bullmania, A Tribute to Freckles Brown and Lane Frost."

However, because there was a problem with the name
"Bullmania" (it might have been a copyright problem), in 1991 the event name
was changed to:

"Bullnanza, a Tribute to Freckles Brown and Lane Frost"

and is still held at the Lazy E Arena in Guthrie.

Lane in early 1989.
Lane rides in a rodeo in early 1989.

In February 1989, Lane helped put
together, and participated in
"Bullmania, A Tribute to Freckles Brown."
in Guthrie, OK.

In the event, Lane wore the #2.
No one could predict that, the very next year, 1990, 
#2 would be retired in Lane's memory,
and hung on a gate chute.

And the event would be renamed:

"Bullmania, A Tribute to Freckles Brown and Lane Frost."

However, because there was a problem with the name
"Bullmania" (it might have been a copyright problem),
in 1991the event name was changed to:

"Bullnanza, a Tribute to Freckles Brown and Lane Frost"

and is still held at the Lazy E Arena in Guthrie.

n May of 1989, Lane rode in a charity rodeo to help raise money for the
Children's Medical Research, Inc. and Children's Hospital of Oklahoma.

In July of 1989, Lane and his wife Kellie were going to work as
stunt doubles on the movie, "My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys",
about a bull rider that comes home to Oklahoma.
Lane was also to have a small speaking role in the movie.

But first Lane took some time to go to Cheyenne, Wyoming to compete in the
"Cheyenne Frontier Days" Rodeo.

Kellie stayed behind to start work on the movie.
It was the first Cheyenne Frontier Days she did not attend.

cheywed1.jpg (30879 bytes)
The pictures above and below are of
Lane riding his second bull
at Cheyenne Frontier Days Rodeo
on Wednesday, July 26, 1989.
cheywed2.jpg (30918 bytes)

After Lane rode
his second bull at Cheyenne Frontier Days,
sportscaster George Michael,
a frequent interviewer and friend of Lane,
spoke with Lane,
in what sadly would become Lane's last interview.

George said to Lane,

"But you just had to give
the crowd a thrill with that dismount!"

(Lane had somersaulted over the tail
of the bull at the end of his ride.)

And Lane replied, in words that would become
truer than anyone could imagine in only four days,

"Well, I don't always ride that good,
but I can usually get off pretty exciting
or do something afterwards."

Four days later,
on Sunday, July 30, 1989,
Lane drew the bull named
"Takin' Care of Business".
After successfully completing his ride
he dismounted.

Lane was then hit twice by the bull,
the second time by the bull's right horn,
breaking his ribs and severing a main artery.

He died within moments.
(The "Cheyenne 1989" page tells the complete story.)

Lane's last ride on "Takin' Care of Business"
Cheyenne Frontier Days
July 30, 1989

Check out the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) Page for the
answers to some of the most asked questions!

"© Copyright 1999-2013 For Frost Enterprises" All Rights Reserved
Do Not Copy or Reproduce Without Written Permission.

This site began in 1999 in remembrance of Lane Frost and for the Frost Family.
I receive no pay or profit, nor want to,  from my operation of this site.